What are the types of vulvar cancer?
There are three main types of vulvar cancer:
- Squamous cell carcinoma. This is the most common type of vulvar cancer. This type of cancer forms in the squamous cells, which are the primary type of skin cells.
- Adenocarcinoma. This type of cancer starts in glands closest to the opening of the vagina.
- Melanoma. Melanomas start in the cells that produce pigment for the skin. They are more common in sun-exposed areas of skin, but can occur elsewhere.
- Sarcoma. A sarcoma starts in the cells that make up muscles or collective tissue.
- Basal cell carcinoma. This is the most common form of skin cancer. It most often occurs on sun-exposed areas of the skin, but can sometimes occur in other places.