At the Breast Cancer Prevention Clinic at Miami Cancer Institute, we are dedicated to helping people who have a high risk of developing breast cancer. This includes people with high-risk breast disorders and people who have certain genetic mutations that are specific to the development of breast cancer.
Our academically trained and Board-certified physicians provide personalized, expert care. They are assisted by a team of nurse practitioners and physician assistants experienced in women’s healthcare and breast cancer. As a part of the Miami Cancer Institute, our team has access to leading experts in breast surgery, reconstructive surgery, medical oncology, gynecological oncology and genetics.
Our team uses advanced breast imaging technology and innovative procedures to help monitor your risk for developing breast cancer.
Conditions We Treat
We provide consultations and second opinions to patients with the following conditions and concerns:
- Known breast cancer genetic mutations
- Strong family history of breast cancer with no identifiable genetic mutation, such as patients with Ashkenazi Jewish heritage
- Breast cancer risk greater than 20 percent, as calculated by BRCAPRO and Tyler-Cusick models
- History of mantle radiation treatment (used to treat Hodgkin’s lymphoma) at age 30 or younger
- Underlying high-risk breast conditions that would benefit from monitoring after appropriate surgical treatment, including:
- Atypical ductal hyperplasia
- Lobular neoplasia (including lobular carcinoma in situ and atypical lobular hyperplasia)
- A biopsy that shows atypia (abnormal cells in the breast tissue)
Services We Offer
Our Breast Cancer Prevention Clinic provides the following services:
- Breast imaging
- Genetic education and counseling by a certified genetic counselor and a medical geneticist
- Individualized breast health plans and follow-up care
- Nutritional, emotional and psychological support services
- Personalized breast cancer risk assessment
- Physical exams, including a thorough breast exam
- Timely referral to other specialists as needed, including risk-reducing surgery or referrals to experts at Miami Cancer Institute’s alliance partner, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Treatments that follow the National Comprehensive Cancer Network guidelines for breast health, including enhanced monitoring, lifestyle modifications, risk-reducing surgical therapies and chemoprevention
Who are the experts on breast cancer?
Our breast cancer team includes medical oncologists, radiation therapists, surgeons and others at the top of their field. Our specialists are highly experienced in the latest, most effective breast cancer treatment methods, reconstruction techniques and standards of care.