Whether you have questions about your diagnosis, concerns about treatment or need recommendations for support programs, your patient navigation team is there for you through every step of your journey. This free program is an important part of your care plan, helping you work through life’s challenges so you can get the treatment you need.
Who is on my patient navigation team?
Your patient navigation team includes members who specialize in specific type of cancers. Your team will include:
- A navigation coordinator – A member of Miami Cancer Institute’s skilled support staff. Your navigation coordinator is available to answer your calls, connect you with the right people, offer supportive resources and check on you from time to time.
- A nurse navigator – An expert oncology nurse who understands your diagnosis, treatment options and individual needs. Your nurse navigator will get to know you, understand your cancer treatment, anticipate problems and help you stay on track throughout your treatment.
You will meet your nurse navigator early in your treatment program. Your nurse navigator will get to know you as a person to better understand your life, beliefs and preferences. Acting as an ally and advocate, your nurse navigator will partner with social workers and other supportive care professionals to ensure you get the support you need and receive the treatment that best fits you.
What can my patient navigation team do?
Your patient navigation team answers your questions and connects you with the care and resources you need within Miami Cancer Institute and across South Florida. They help you access support from your doctors, health system and community.
Your patient navigation team will:
- Guide and advocate for your care during your treatment
- Learn about you and your preferences to customize your care
- Identify tools and resources to help you complete treatment
- Teach you about your diagnosis, treatment and potential side effects
- Connect you with your healthcare team and community
- Make recommendations to other healthcare professionals on your behalf
- Promote healthy lifestyle choices and self-care
- Provide emotional support and guidance during treatment
Throughout your journey, your navigation team will be by your side. Challenges with finances, child care or transportation should never keep you from finishing treatment, and your patient navigation team will be ready to find you the help you need.
You should call your patient navigation team if you have any of the following concerns:
- You don’t understand your treatment plan
- You can’t remember your appointments or need help re-arranging your appointments
- You’re not sure who to call, but have questions about your care
- You need help communicating your preferences to your physician
- You need access to supportive resources or services like transportation, support groups, financial counseling, etc.
- You are struggling with things that interfere with your cancer treatment
- You are experiencing distress related to your cancer diagnosis or treatment
How do I get in touch with my patient navigation team?
My patient navigator walked me through everything that was going to happen during my treatment, she helped me get a wig. When I called her, she always answered. If she was not available, she would get back to me very quickly. She was very caring and compassionate.
Brain Fitness Lab
The goal of the Brain Fitness Lab at Miami Cancer Institute is to restore and prevent chemotherapy-induced cognitive impairment in cancer patients. Cognitive remediation training has a demonstrated benefit in restoring cognitive function in cancer survivors. The Cancer Patient Support Center developed the Brain Fitness Lab to provide customized cognitive remediation training with computerized brain-training protocols and neuropsychological interventions to restore and enhance cancer survivors’ cognitive and functional outcomes.
Receive Our Monthly E-Newsletter
Hear about the latest updates from our dedicated patient support team, learn about our services and sign up for the latest events.